Harper's Weekly, September 9, 1871

 Our readers are already  in possession of the  main facts of Admiral  Rodger's 
short but decisive  campaign against  the Corean  barbarians, and  only a  brief 
resume will be necessary to  explain the illustrations on  this and the following 
page, engraved from photographs taken on the spot by  our special artist, Sr. F. 
Beatto, who accompanied the expedition as the official photographer.
 The first illustration shows the interior of Fort M'Kee, so named  in honor of 
the gallant young officer  who was killed in  the attack. It  will be remembered 
that the expedition was undertaken with  the purpose of effecting a  treaty with 
the Corean  coast. Minister  Low was  charged with  the  negotiation, but  was 
instructed to confer  fully at every  step with  Admiral Rodgers. The  object of 
sending the fleet  was to  afford suitable conveyance  to Minister  Low, and to 
protect him if necessary;  and hostilities were  not to be  engaged in unless  an 
attack was made upon our forces. 
 The fleet   arrived off   the mouth   of Salt  River  about  the  last  of May. 
Communication was at once  opened with the authorities,  who readily gave the 
fleet permission to make a survey of  the river. The survey was undertaken  on 
the 1st of June, and  was proceeding quietly until  the boats reached a  bend in 
the river, where an attack was made upon them from an ambuscade. The attack 
was repulsed with great promptitude  and gallantry, and the  enemy was driven 
from his guns and position.  The Corean government having  failed to apologize 
for this treacherous attack, an expedition was dispatched on the 10th of June  to 
bring the enemy  to his  senses and  to terms.  In his  official dispatch  to the 
government Admiral Rodgers says:
 "The operations of 10th and  11th inst., which resulted in  the capture of five 
smaller  forts,  culminated  on  the  11th  in  taking  by  assault  the  enemy's 
stronghold, located in a  most formidable position,  at a very dangerous  part of 
the river,   and desperately   defended. Two   hundred and  forty-three  of  the 
enemy's dead were counted within and around these works, and fifty flags were 
taken. The works  were formidable  not only  from the natural  features of  the 
land, from shoals and  violent currents in  the river, but rendered  artificially so 
by hundreds of weapons of various kind placed by the  enemy for their defense. 
The gallant band which encountered and  overcame the perils of the  navigation, 
which fought its way, against vastly superior numbers, through mud and marsh, 
over precipitous   hills and  across  difficult ravines,   and finally  stormed  and 
captured the enemy's stronghold, is worthy of all praise."
 Fort M'Kee   was taken  by assault.   The attacking  party was   met by  a 
discharge of musketry from  the ramparts, and  next instant was climbing  over 
the parapet. A brief  hand-to-hand conflict took place,  when the yellow banner 
of the Coreans was drawn  down and the stars and  stripes waved in its place. 
The  ammunition  of  the  Coreans  had  become  exhausted;  but,  chanting  a 
death-song, which resounded high  above the din  of the combat, they  met our 
bullets with stones, our revolvers with clubs, and with desperate courage fought 
until conquered. Our  men never flinched,  but fought nobly,  and won the  day. 
Lieutenant M'Kee and  three soldiers met  death at this  place. Our artist  has 
portrayed a vivid view of the interior  of the fort immediately after capture, the 
bodies of the dead  lying in ghastly heaps  at the point where  the assault was 
 The powder-magazine took  fire immediately after  the capture, and  was soon 
burning fiercely. The  interior of  the fort  was strewn  with bodies  apparently 
dead; but as  the heat of  the flames increased,  many of the  supposed corpses 
sprang up and ran away.
 Our second illustration shows the exterior of  Fort Monocacy immediately after 
its capture by the marines, on the 11th of June.
 Our portrait of  Lieutenant M'kee  is from  a photograph  by W.  Kurz. This 
gallant young officer  was the first  to enter the  citadel when the  assault was 
ordered, and  no sooner  had he  set foot  within the  walls than  he fell  dead, 
struck by a bullet and pierced by  a spear. Lieutenant M'Kee was a citizen  of 
Kentucky. He was in the very prime of manhood, and his death was universally 
regretted by all who knew him.
 We also   give a  picture  of the   Corean junk  which  put  off to   the fleet 
immediately after its arrival. On its approaching  the Colorado Mr. Drew, acting 
secretary of legation, went on board, and finding messengers from the Prefect of 
Foo Ping, invited  them on  board the  ship. They manifested  great interest  in 
every thing, The crew of the junk were soon dispersed about the Colorado, and 
in every nook and  corner could be seen  some Corean loading himself  up with 
jars, empty  bottles, hard-tack,   Harper's Weekly, and   other wonders to   the 
uncivilized. They showed perfect confidence in our friendliness, and  it was with 
difficulty the officials could get together the junk's crew upon their departure.
 Our last  illustration shows  the council  of war  held on  board the  flag-ship 
Colorado before the attack  of June 10.  The names of  the officers present  are 
printed  beneath  the  picture,  and  no  further  explanation  is  required.  The 
accompanying map will be useful  as showing the situation  of the forts-five in 
all-which were taken and demolished by the fleet.